Household Hazardous Waste
The River COG participates in regional recycling coordination and waste management, offering multiple household hazardous waste collections from April to October each year. Click here to view the 2023 HHW brochure.
Household hazardous waste collection sites are located in Clinton, East Hampton, Old Lyme, Cromwell, Essex, Higganum, and Middletown. Please visit the 2023 HHW brochure for information on dates and locations of specific collections. All dates and locations are open to all residents.
Please read the NEW Covid-19 Procedures for HHW Collections as of May 30, 2020. This document includes important safety information.
MAJOR CHANGE FOR THE 2022 & 2023 SEASON.
We have closed our permanent facility in Essex. Instead of using that facility we will hold collections throughout the RiverCOG region. All dates and locations are open to all residents of the 16 participating towns (Chester, Clinton, Cromwell, Deep River, Durham, East Hampton, Essex, Haddam, Killingworth, Lyme, Middlefield, Middletown, Old Lyme, Old Saybrook, Portland & Westbrook).
Houshold Hazardous Waste Collection
All Collections 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
April 22, 2023 in Clinton: Clinton Public Works Garage, 117 Nod Rd., Clinton, CT
May 6, 2023 in East Hampton: East Hampton Water Pollution Control Authority, 20 Gildersleeve Dr., East Hampton, CT (just off Route 66)
June 17, 2023 in Old Lyme: Lyme-Old Lyme Middle School, 49 Lyme St., Old Lyme, CT
July 22, 2023 in Cromwell: Woodside Intermediate School, 30 Woodside Rd., Cromwell, CT
August 19, 2023 in Essex: The OLD HHW Facility, 11 Dump Rd., Essex
September 16, 2023 in Middletown: Middlesex Community College, 100 Training Hill Rd., Middletown, CT
October 21, 2023 in Haddam: Haddam Elementary School, 272 Saybrook Rd., Higganum
All Collections 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
April 22, 2023 in East Hampton: East Hampton Water Pollution Control Authority, 20 Gildersleeve Dr., East Hampton, CT (just off Route 66)
June 24, 2023 in Westbrook: Westbrrok Town Hall, 866 Boston Post Road, Westbrook
Sept 23, 2023 in Middlefield: Middlefield Community Center, 405 Main Street, Middlefield
Oct 14, 2023 in Chester: Chester Town Hall, 203 Middlesex Avenue. Chester
Guidelines for paper shredding:
- Please limit to 5 bags or boxes approx. 9”h x 18”w x 12”d (about the size of a paper box).
- Paper shredding is for residents’ personal papers with sensitive information and is not for local businesses.
- No junk mail, magazines, books, cards, metal-ring binders, etc. will be accepted.
The State of Connecticut now offers disposal programs for some specific products.
- The Paintcare program. You don’t have to wait for an HHW event to responsibly dispose of your paint – click here for more information and disposal locations.
- There is an electronic recycling program at participating transfer stations and/or electronic recycling events.
- The State now has a mattress disposal program at participating transfer stations. You can find more information at www.byebyemattress.com.
- There is also a Statewide recycling program. For information about that program go to www.recyclect.com and learn “What’s in What’s Out and checkout the ‘Recycling Wizard’.