RiverCOG Regional Agriculture Council
The RiverCOG Regional Agriculture Council (RAC) is the first of its kind in Connecticut. The RAC is comprised of a representative from each of the region’s municipalities and pursues the objectives of supporting farming in the 17 municipalities and promotion of agriculture-friendly land use and municipal policies. Goals of the RAC include:
- Serving as an information and education conduit between farmers, municipal boards and commissions, elected officials, nonprofit agencies, and civic organizations
- Providing guidance and review of municipal land use regulations related to agriculture
- Providing guidance and information regarding agriculturally related tax programs and policies
- Assisting with conflict resolution of agriculturally related issues
- Identifying economic opportunities for towns and farmers
The Regional Agriculture Council recently launched a website entitled “Know Your Farmers”, which promotes farms in the lower Connecticut River valley region. At present, about 50 farms are included. We are actively soliciting those who aren’t a part of the promotional site to join in. If you have a suggestion for a farm to include please contact us.
The RAC meets on the third Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the offices of the Lower Connecticut River Valley Council of Governments, 145 Dennison Road, Essex, CT.
Current members of the River COG Regional Agriculture Council
As of January 20, 2022:
John Halfinger (Chairman)
Baylee Rose Drown